Intensive aquaculture poses a potential risk for the outbreak of aquatic diseases, including streptococcosis (50% - 70% mortality rate) and aeromoniasis (>80% mortality rate), particularly in larger farms where infection risks tend to be higher, which cause a billion losses in aquaculture industry.
• The majority of existing vaccines are administered via injection, necessitating trained personnel for fish handling and entailing substantial costs and time consumption.
• Current vaccines for streptococcosis and aeromoniasis are monovalent and demonstrate efficacy solely against specific strains of Streptococcus and Aeromonas species, with no cross-protection capabilities.
• Some of the vaccines use expensive commercial adjuvants, which contributes to the high cost of vaccine production.
AquaBooster is a feed-based bivalent vaccine (oral vaccine) against streptococcosis and aeromoniasis diseases.
Vaccines are more flexible, less stressful, and provide cost savings for both production and labor while improving overall outcomes.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
• AquaBooster vaccine provides cross-protection against several species of pathogenic Streptococcus spp. and Aeromonas spp. that are found frequently in freshwater fish culture of many Asian countries.
• AquaBooster vaccine is recommended to be administered orally using our suggested regimen for better protection. This should solve the issues of using injectable vaccines faced by small to medium-holding farmers in Asia.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
-Easy to use âœ”Cost-effective âœ”Highly-effective
-Improve disease prevention
-Stimulate antibody production
-Improve growth performance
-Improve farms’ production.
Technology Readiness Level (TRL) :
5 - Validation in real environment
Project Leader :
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ina Salwany Md Yasin
Institute of Bioscience
Email : email@example.com
Tarikh Input: 04/12/2023 | Kemaskini: 03/01/2024 | asrizam
Pejabat Timbalan Naib Canselor (Penyelidikan dan Inovasi)
Universiti Putra Malaysia
43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia